1026 College Drive
The first building on this site was built in the 1940s as a private residence. In 1970, the house was purchased and used as a residence by the Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI) St Mary’s Province for Catholic male students attending the University of Saskatchewan.
On December 5, 1969, Father Leo Engel, OMI, of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate St. Mary’s Province wrote to the Oblate Fathers and Brothers outlining the reasons behind closing their student residence at 814 Saskatchewan Crescent East to move to 1026 College Drive. The main reason behind the move was for the male residents to be closer to the University of Saskatchewan. The house at 1026 College Drive had ten student rooms, plus two rooms for staff. The move to this Oblate University Residence at 1026 College Drive took place in May of 1970. In 1983, the Oblates sold the building.
Laura Loewen purchased the building in the mid-1980s (the exact date is unknown and it is uncertain as to whether she purchased the property directly from the Oblates) and it became known as Laura’s Lodge. The building then became home to students, medical personnel, and visitors to Saskatoon. Laura was the originator of the idea of a visitor lodge in Saskatoon. Individuals visiting patients in the hospital also stay at this lodge. During this time, a student by the name of Gordon Hirschfeld stayed at the Lodge. While studying at the University of Saskatchewan, Gordon also helped Laura run the lodge. Laura has since passed on ownership of the building to Gordon and his wife Cathy. Since taking over, Gordon and Cathy have renovated the building and added a staff of ten individuals.
If you would like to know more about Laura’s Lodge, please visit the link: http://www.lauraslodge.com/
This information was gathered from the following sources:
– Laura’s Lodge (2014). History. Retrieved from http://lauraslodge.com/history.aspx
– Oblates of Mary Immaculate, St. Mary’s Province Archives. Purchase of Property at 1026 College Drive: 1970, SM114.179.
– Oblates of Mary Immaculate, St. Mary’s Province Archives. Sale of Property at 1026 College Drive: 1983, SM114.178.