1302 and 1306 Temperance Street
Higbee’s Grocery was established at1302 Temperance Street (corner of Wiggins Avenue and Temperance Street) in 1949. The grocery store was owned by Ross J. Higbee and the building also housed Brunskill Meats.
By approximately 1966, Higbee’s Grocery had relocated to 1306 Temperance Street, which had been used as a parking lot up until that point.
In the mid-1960s (the exact date is unknown), Ross J. Higbee moved and Higbee’s Grocery was sold to Thordy Kolbinson, owner of Brunskill Pharmacy at the time. The space was maintained as a grocery store and the two buildings remained separate until 1987, when the wall separating the two businesses was knocked down. The buildings then became one, which is how it is seen today.
This information was gathered from the following sources:
– Henderson’s Saskatoon Directory, 1949-1965.
– Thordy Kolbinson, personal communication, July 17, 2014.
1308 Temperance Street
The building was constructed in 1948. The first tenant at this location was the Quality Food Store, which stayed in this location from 1949 until 1959. From 1954 until 1963, Al’s Brunskill Pharmacy operated at this location. From 1965 until 1972, Bel-Aire Coiffures Beauty Shop occupied this location.
In 1972, the Temperance Café became the long-term occupant of this space with apartments in the upper portion of the building. Even though the building has changed ownership over the years, it still operates under the Temperance Café moniker.
This information was gathered from the following source:
– Henderson’s Saskatoon Directory, 1949-1972.