Overview of discussions at the VVCA June 2023 board meeting, held Wednesday June 21:
– Councillor Cynthia Block shared items she will be bringing to budget meeting next Wednesday: request a third-party traffic safety audit review of College & Wiggins intersection; update report on active transportation plan; other ‘pinch points’ in bike corridors. Discussion around safety for bicycling in City. Saskatoon Cycles website has a form letter available for concerned cyclists to submit to City.
– Linda from Bridge City Hens made a presentation about movement to allow hens (no roosters) in resident’s yards. Asked for letter of support when proposal is submitted to City.
– President Jon Naylor attended City ‘Community Association President workshop’. Good information about volunteers and record keeping.
– VVBM Community Garden would like their funds to be kept separate and available for future projects. To be discussed in fall with attendance from garden representatives.
– James Cook of University of Saskatoon submitted a written report of USask/City plans for future development: bike/pedestrian lane on north side of College; future medium density housing planned for University endowment lands; water retention pond planned for Cumberland & 14th; new fire hall on Preston to begin service this fall.
– fall program bookings submitted. Basketball and soccer will be submitted later in July. Fall registration dates: September 7 and 12.
– SYSI indoor soccer registration is open now until end of August.
– discussion of upcoming 40th anniversary of VVCA in two or three years. Joint celebration with Nutana? Nutana is closing a street one Sunday a month during summer for residents to use.
– basketball (SMBA) registration open July 10 to September 1. Season starts October 14. Open to grades 3-12. VV player numbers fluctuates and remain low.
– discussions about fall newsletter, deadline for material mid-July. Printed early August, distributed by end of August.
– Josh discussed his proposal from last year to plant more trees along 14th Street walk/bikeway. Some resistance from City and University due to possible interference with ground utilities.
– 15-ish dead trees in President Murray park. VVCA to send letter to City Parks department. Replacement trees?
– ask school janitor to turn off lights to rink during summer.
– next meeting Wednesday September 20, 2023 in the Brunskill School library.