Overview of discussions at the January 17, 2024 VVCA board meeting:
– tree planting proposal on hold until City completes Planting Plan guidelines. City is working with Meewasin.
– VVCA to contact City about replacement of dying trees in President Murray Park. Possible invitation of City rep to attend and speak at future meeting.
– hope to hold VVCA planning retreat before AGM. City rep schedule is too full to assist – what are other options for facilitators?
– VVCA bylaw and constitution are being revised. May have a good start and be able to present at AGM.
– President Murray Park cross country ski trails have been groomed. Grosvenor Park should be soon. Permanent signage (don’t walk on the trails, etc) is not allowed in park, but temporary signage can be installed.
– VVCA will be celebrating 40 year anniversary in 2025. Any plans or ideas? Form a committee at AGM to plan?
– put some of current finances in short term investment?
– all programs running. Registration nights were extremely cold and blizzardy. Learn to skate is going ahead with kids and adult classes. For future years, can we canvas for used skates from community for participants to use? No storage available though.
– Brunskill School community council is planning a community winter event in early February. Would like to partner with VVCA in some way.
– soccer coordinator attended SYSI meetings in early January. Registrations begin early February.
– rink is going great. Thank you to rink volunteers!
– newsletter published and distributed late Dec/early January.
– Albert Community Centre renovations should begin in May, run for about a year. Hopefully minimal disruption to current tenants. ACC determining how to handle short term bookings. ACC preschool planning playground renovation.
– due to February school break, next meeting will be THURSDAY, February 29, 2024, 7PM, Brunskill School.